SADDLEBACK COLLEGE / IVC STUDENT ID:
- Students must have a Saddleback College/IVC student ID # to apply. If you do not have one, please apply to the college here.
- For advising regarding our Health Information Technology Program, or Certificates in Medical Coding or Healthcare Technology Optimization Specialist, you can connect with the program counselor Elizabeth Weiss by scheduling an appointment. To do so, please call our Counseling Office at 949-582-4572, we begin scheduling appointments every business morning at 8 am. Counseling appointments will be released 7 days in advance.
- To be added to our Counselor Call Back list for a quick 15-minute question regarding the program, call us at (949) 582-4572 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your message include your name, student ID number, and a brief description/question for the counselor, be sure to be specific that you would need to speak to the Health Information Technology program counselor, and for which program you would like information on. The call back hours for this program are Tuesdays 10-11 am & 1-2 pm or Wednesdays from 10:30-11:30 am, 1:30-2:30 pm or 4:30-5:30 pm. You may also visit our Zoom lobby Monday- Thursday 8 am to 5 pm to be added to our callback list. Please click here to enter. Please view online counseling appointment instructions here.
- Official relevant transcripts from outside colleges other than Saddleback College/IVC must be sent to the Admissions & Records office
- See the link on How to Order an Official Transcript
- International transcripts must be evaluated by an acceptable third party, NACES, at: https://www.naces.org/member
PETITION FOR COURSE SUBSTITUTION OR WAIVER:
- All course petitions (if applicable) for credit of courses taken outside of Saddleback/IVC should be submitted. Please meet with a counselor to petition for the courses. CIM, BIO, MATH, PSYC courses belong to different departments and need to be on separate forms. Here is the link to the Petition for Course Substitution/Waiver Form. You will be uploading your unofficial transcripts as part of this application.
- For HIT AS degree only: to earn the Associate of Science (A.S.) Degree in Health Information Technology, students must complete both HIT department requirements and General Education requirements. A previous associates, bachelor's or higher degree does not automatically meet general education requirements. All outside transcripts must be evaluated toward Saddleback College's requirements. In order to be eligible for the RHIT credential, you must earn the A.S. degree from Saddleback College by the end of Spring 2024.
EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2022
- Saddleback College is withdrawing the HIT program from the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) accreditation. The college will continue to offer accredited HIT classes until the end of the Spring 2024 semester. Beginning Fall 2024 all HIT classes at Saddleback College will no longer be accredited. Student may choose to transfer to CAHIIM accredited college to complete their degree. If you are a brand-new student or entering the HIT program under the 2022-2023 catalog i.e. Fall 22 or Spring 23, you must finish the program at Saddleback College by the end of Spring 24 to be eligible for the RHIT exam.
- **It is strongly advised that all current and future HIT students meet Elizabeth Weiss in the Counseling Office to discuss educational goals and options.**
- Please check your Submittable account/email used to sign up with for all communication regarding your application.
- Students will receive notification about being accepted into the program and will need to read the HIT Student Handbook and check off the acknowledgement within the HIT Application. Students will need to check Saddleback College emails daily even if they are not taking courses in a particular semester as important updates are sent to the students throughout the program.
Please complete the following application and attach the required documentation.
- Applicants will need a Saddleback College student ID and email. https://www.saddleback.edu/admissions/Apply-Saddleback-College
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Current California EMT license.
- Current Basic Life Support (CPR) card. This card must be an American Heart Association "Healthcare Provider". No Substitutions. This card must be valid throughout the duration of the class.
Application requirements for the Nursing Assistant Program:
- Must attend a virtual Information Session (must attend a total of 45 out of 60 minutes).
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must have a Saddleback College/IVC student ID number.
- Must possess one of the following: California identification card, California driver's license, or passport.
- Must have a Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification number (ITIN).
Admission requirements for the Nursing Assistant Program:
- Must complete health requirements and physical examination within 3 months of admission. The following immunizations/titers will be required: TDAP, TB clearance, full COVID vaccine status with booster & seasonal flu shot.
- Must show proof of personal health insurance and obtain professional liability insurance prior to registering for classes.
- Must obtain a valid BLS/CPR card through the American Heart Association.
- Must complete/clear a drug screening through CastleBranch.
- Must complete/clear background check through CastleBranch - CRIMINAL SCREENING POLICY: Prior to entering the nursing assistant training or Certified Nursing Assistant class, each student will be required to complete an application that will screen for conviction of a crime other than a minor traffic infraction. Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 483.13 Section (c), Subsection (1) (ii), prohibits long term care facilities from employing individuals who have been convicted of abusing, neglecting or mistreating individuals. To extend similar protection to patients, Title 22, California Code of Regulations Part 71828 Section ©, prohibits a student from practicing clinical skills on patients if the student has been convicted of crimes which could present a danger to patients. If the student answers yes to a criminal conviction, that student shall be advised to contact the enforcement consultant at (916) 327-2445. The revised application procedure requires any student shall not be admitted to class who has not shown proof that a fingerprint card has been sent to the Department of Public Health. Any student that is found to have a criminal conviction and has not received a letter of approval from the enforcement consultant will be dropped from the training program. Falsification of the Nurse Assistant Certification application may result in adverse action pursuant to the Health and Safely Code, Section 1337.8.
- Please check your submittable accounts/email used to sign up for all communication regarding your application status.
- Applicants will be notified of their application status September 19, 2023 (dates subject to change).